February 17, 2014

The (mostly) horrible things my daughter eats, part 1

For a long time, I have been reluctant to post in detail about the food my daughter eats. Why? Because I am more than a bit ashamed that my daughter lives almost exclusively on junk food :(

In two of the Austria pictures, you can see her at the edges of the photos, reading a book on her Kindle or playing on her Nintendo DS. (I wonder if this is also a reason I should be ashamed of myself. On one occasion, I told her that she was being a bad example for other kids, whose parents don't want them to read or play while the family is sitting together at the dinner table. And those kids ask their parents: "Why is that girl allowed to do that and I am not?") In fact, if she wasn't allowed to read or play, she wouldn't be sitting with us at the dinner table at all. She would be bored to hell if she had to watch us stuffing ourselves with what to us is gorgeous food, while she suffers from Hot Dog withdrawal.

And when I say Hot Dog, I mean hot dogs like these:



The sausages are the vegetarian sausages I mentioned before in this post, heated briefly in hot water. Well, at least the buns are made in part with wholemeal flour.

You can count the foods/dishes my daughter likes on the fingers of three hands. And both Ben and I have the impression that they become less and less over time. Sometimes, we try to advertise food to her saying: "You used to like that! We have photos of you eating that!"
And she always answers: "Have you forgotten? I have lingua geographica!"

Lingua geographica is a condition of the mucosa of the tongue. I first noticed the large red blotches on Esther's tongue when she was three, and the pediatrician who looked at them said that it was nothing serious, but this condition could affect her sense of taste. Things she likes may become suddenly unpleasant, while she may suddenly like things she didn't like before. (But she is not so eager to explore the latter possibility.)

Read more about lingua geographica here.

In my first post from Austria, you have already seen one pasta dish she likes: Spaghetti Bolognese. She also likes pasta with tomato sauce. But after two days of feasting on that here in Austria, she has temporarily lost interest.

In the past week, she had private skiing lessons, while this (second) week she has group lessons the whole day, and lunch is provided. She is more likely to eat properly if there is some peer pressure :)

And yes, of course I am concerned about whether she will develop properly and whether she gets all she needs via her food. I appease myself by giving her these:

  
 Vitamin gummy bears. What else can I do?


2 comments:

  1. >peer pressure

    My daughter is a picky eater, too. One good thing about the Japanese kyushoku (school lunch) system is that all students and all teachers have the same menu. There is not much peer pressure, I suppose, but in such an environment, she can eat what she usually avoids at home without a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have daily school or kindergarten lunches at any time, but during the first two and a half years of kindergarten in Germany, the teachers did cook once a week together with the kids. And they were very good at coaxing the kids into at least trying the food they had cooked. Several times, they told us about dishes that turned out to be liked by Esther, and her menu at home profited from that. To this day, Esther rather likes to help with cooking, no matter what it is we cook, but very rarely will she try the finished dish.
      The food Esther gets at lunchtime with her skiing class are dishes that are thought to be liked by most children: breaded schnitzel and french fries, pasta with tomato sauce, chicken nuggets with french fries, things like that.

      Delete