February 03, 2014

Sake! (part 2)

Originally, I had planned to buy expensive sake at my local supermarket today. But I had to go to the train station in the next "village" (called Oerlikon) today to change seat reservations for a train trip, so I thought I might as well pay a visit to the Asia Store there.
Besides rice wine from China, they sell these bottles:





Choya is perhaps the single best-known brand of Japanese sake in the West. I remember times about 15 years ago in Germany, when Choya was all you could get if you wanted Japanese sake.

Sometimes I wonder if Choya is known in Japan at all. (I don't really remember if I have seen Choya Sake in Japan.) If so, what is its reputation?

On the back of the bottle, they write that their sake is good for cocktails and for cooking. Strangely enough, they don't say that it is also good for drinking it pure ;)

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if Choya is affiliated with Choya Umeshu, which is the biggest umeshu (plum liqueur) manufacturer in Japan, but the latter does not produce sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is in fact the same company. You can get Choya Umeshu here as well, and the bottles are of the same design.
      My guess is that Choya produces their sake exclusively for export purposes.

      Delete
    2. Just to add: I checked the German website of Choya. They are marketing almost exclusively different varieties of umeshu there. Their sake is the very last item on the "Products" page. They only have one product of that sort.

      Delete