February 04, 2014

Sushi, again

Today, I didn't really have time to go grocery shopping. I met my daughter in Oerlikon and we took a train to yet another little "village" to visit a certain drugstore. Among other things, we bought Russisch Brot (literally: Russian Bread), a very crunchy type of cookies in the form of the letters of the (Latin) alphabet.


These cookies seem to be available in Switzerland only at the drugstores of that particular German chain, Müller Drogerie.

So I thought I might as well pay a visit to Negishi Sushi Bar at Oerlikon Station and get some sushi to take away. When we arrived there, I was delighted to find that they had put up a poster saying that their sushi chefs are now working the whole day (instead of just noons and evenings).

This was our haul:



From top left to bottom: Matsuyama Salad, the usual shake maki for my daughter (plus some kampyou maki for Ben), a Fukuoka Box for me and a vegetarian assortment for Ben.

Matsuyama Salad is basically wakame with a sesame oil and vinegar dressing.

My daughter will only eat shake maki. If she can't get them, shake nigiri are also okay. She used to like kappa maki and tekka maki, too, but I'm not sure if she still does.

I like any kind of sushi, except maki containing cheese and/or creamcheese (*shudder*). That's not so uncommon here, the best example being the obnoxious California Rolls.

Every time we get sushi at Negishi, they throw a ton of these little shoyu bottles into the bag:


I should really start to squeeze them out into our regular shoyu bottle. (I'd rather not risk using any of the little bottles that have piled up on our spice shelf - they may be years old.)

That being said, I would like to say that I don't know if I will post more things before we go on vacation on Saturday. (I have all the ingredients for nama fu in the house, gathered from various shops, but there is still some work to do before we leave, and probably not enough time to cook such an elaborate dish.) Maybe yet another quick fix or a post about a drink. From Saturday on, I will try to take pictures of the most spectacular food at our hotel in Austria.




2 comments:

  1. Does the sushi shop use the word shake (or sake)? In Japan, we usually use the English word salmon (サーモン) instead when referring to salmon as a topping for sushi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most sushi places I know use in fact the word shake. I only know one chain that speaks of "salmon maki" in their menu, but on the other hand they also use "cucumber maki" and "tuna maki".

      Delete