February 16, 2014

Austria, part 5

I haven't posted anything for a few days now. Let me check if there are any photos available.



This was Ben's main course on Friday. Feta cheese and spinach strudel on tomato sauce.



And this was my main course on the same day. Fish (I can't remember what kind) with mustard sauce, carrots and black and white linguine.

I also have one photo of one plate of starters I got from the buffet. But that was on Thursday.


On that day, the hotel offered a buffet of Italian specialties, for starters, soup, main course, dessert and cheese. Clockwise from the top: tomatoes and mozzarella with balsamico sauce and pesto, tuna salad, marinated salmon, pickled artichokes, pickled black salsify with sundried tomatoes.

Yesterday, we chose not to have dinner at the hotel. We went to Bregenz to visit a museum. I took this photo of one work of art in the atrium:



It was a high tower of enamelled pots made in Africa.

For dinner, we got some food from an Asian fast-food place and ate it sitting on a bench by the lake. (Yes, it was that warm.) Our daughter wanted to have salmon maki and forced Ben to do without the cheese spƤtzle we could have got at the hotel. I had deep-fried prawns - which were straight, not curled :) - with sweet-and-sour sauce and rice, and Ben had vegetables with fried noodles. While Esther (our daughter) was very happy with what she had, both Ben's noodles and my rice were much too salty. (The prawns were good, though.) We have a saying here that when the food is too salty, it means that the cook is in love. May the cook and his beloved live happily ever after :)

2 comments:

  1. >straight, not curled
    Thanks for mentioning that (laugh).

    In Japan, we don't have a similar saying, but when the food is salty, we usually assume that the cook is tired or exhausted (needs more salt than usual).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I have never noticed that my state of tiredness affects my sense of taste. When we asked Esther if she ever noticed anything of that kind, she said that when she is tired or exhausted, everything tastes "furry" (astringent).

      Delete