February 25, 2014

"Pasta with pesto? ;)"

Today, I discussed on chat with Ben what to have for dinner tonight. Ben said: "The other day, I had been thinking about onion soup." And I replied: "Mmmm... I want to have something that really fills my stomach." So Ben suggested: "Pasta with pesto? ;)"

Pasta with pesto is the classical dish we had when we didn't really want to cook and thus pored over the Italian delivery service menu. Very often, we got stuck on pasta with pesto - and decided we could make that at home cheaper, which we did.

Funny enough, the hotel in Austria had one such dish on their lunch menu. Tortellini filled with spinach and ricotta cheese, and tossed in homemade basil pesto. I had had that twice and liked it. So I suggested recreating it at home to Ben.

The hotel kitchen's pesto was a wonderful grassy green - so green that I suspect they use actual grass to make it ;) So I set out to get pesto of a similar hue. I also needed tortellini (as there was no need to make them from scratch) and crema di balsamico. (And parmesan cheese, which I forgot to put into the photo.)


It hurt a little bit wanting to use such high-quality condiments on the very cheapest sort of tortellini. But there was only one bag of 500 grams left of the tortellini that were closest to those in Austria, and that wouldn't have been enough for Ben and me.

Okay, directions:

1. Cook tortellini according to package instructions. (We add salt and olive oil to the water.)
2. Drain and rinse briefly with cold water. 
3. Toss with pesto.
4. Put in deep dish, add some splashes of crema di balsamico and some finely grated parmesan.

 
Not bad, but after dinner I said to Ben: "Next time I say I want something that fills my stomach, tell me to buy ingredients for okonomiyaki."

No comments:

Post a Comment