March 12, 2014

Yum! Okonomiyaki!

On Saturday, we (or rather, Ben) made chard (fudansou) rolls. The chard was very small (the green parts of the leaves were about as big as my hand, which is not so large). So today, we still had this bowl of filling left:


Originally, this was:

2 sheets of abura age (thin deep-fried tofu), blanched, drained, patted dry and cut into strips
about a third of a fairly large turnip cabbage (kohlrabi), peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
one inch of Hidaka kombu, soaked for 30 minutes and cut into thread-thin strips
the shredded cores of 10 chard leaves

For the chard rolls, we used maybe a coffee cup full of that mixture. Probably even less, but I can't really tell because Ben made the rolls while I sulked because he had bought such a small chard.

What was left after that weighed about 400 g.

Today, I prepared the dough as described here, except that I didn't use carrot, zucchini and cabbage, but a fair amount of the leftover chard roll filling. In the next picture, you can see the prepared dough and what was then left of the filling.


These eryngii I also had still in the fridge since Saturday.


The plan was to make okonomiyaki on Sunday, but my stomach wasn't up to it until today :(

Here you can see what became of the dough:







I love okonomiyaki :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Hidaka kombu(!), beni shoga, eryngii, ao nori, katsuobushi, etc., etc. Yes, your okonomiyaki sounds very tasty!

    ReplyDelete