March 20, 2014

Sbrinz-Curry-Muffins

This morning, I woke up thinking of Sbrinz-Curry-Muffins. I had made them once before and liked them. Sbrinz is a very hard Swiss cheese.


 (This is a picture of what's left in the bag after making the dough.)

After making sure I had enough of the ingredients, I set about making the muffins.

I chopped 100 g of dried tomatoes conserved in oil (weighed drained).


I cut the leaves from about 4 sprigs of basil into strips.



I mixed 200 g white flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder and 2 teaspoons of the Japanese curry powder from S&B. (Of course, other curry powder will work as well.)



I mixed 200 ml milk with 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of canola oil.


I added 100 g finely grated Sbrinz to that. After weighing the Sbrinz, I thought: "This won't fit into my measuring cup. I'll transfer it to a bigger bowl."


I added the resulting mixture to the flour-mixture and stirred until it became a smooth dough.


I folded the tomatoes and the basil into it.


I still had these disposable mini-muffin forms:


I thought: "Hmmm, should I grease them or not?" I couldn't remember if I had done it the last time. In the package directions stood nothing about greasing them, so I chose not to (which was a mistake). So using two teaspoons, I distributed the dough as evenly as I could among the molds.


I sprinkled the tops with the remaining Sbrinz cheese.



After about 10 minutes in the oven at 180°C, they looked like this:


I could barely wait until they had cooled. As soon as they had cooled enough so I could eat them, I tried them. Yum!



 
  Like I said, it had been a mistake not to grease the forms with a little margarine. I had to scrape much of each muffin from the paper cup with my teeth ;)

Using the Japanese curry powder proved especially yummy!
 

2 comments:

  1. Sbrinz is quite interesting! (I had to do some googling to find the correct way to pronounce the word!)

    Thank you for sharing your recipe. Are cheese and curry powder a common combination in your country/area? It's kind of hard for me to imagine the resulting flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... the only other dish featuring a combination of cheese and curry that comes to my mind instantly is pizza with curried chicken. Several Italian restaurants and pizza delivery services I know have that on their menu.

      In Germany, a lot of pizza delivery services are run by Indian people. I have no idea how it is here. But I could imagine that the idea to put chicken and curry on a pizza originated with those Indians.

      Delete