March 08, 2014

The (mostly) horrible things my daughter eats, part 2

Today's preparations for dinner really wrecked my mood. I wanted to make chard (fudansou) rolls for oden, but I couldn't get gobo at my Turkish supermarket (so I bought turnip cabbage instead), and the chard Ben had bought was much too small. In the end, Ben rolled up the filling in the tiny chard leaves (and they didn't fall apart in the donabe!), and everything turned out fine. At some point, however, I had stopped taking photos because I was in such a bad mood. So no photos of tonight's oden. Another time.

Instead, I'll post about Esther's lunch, which happened to be Ben's breakfast as well.


Noodle soup with brown mushrooms. I'll call it Not Really Ramen.

After experimenting with miso-based broth ("This tastes like tofu. I don't like tofu!") I fell back to using this stock paste:





I don't like it. Not because of its taste, but because it is a thick fatty paste.


Because of that, you have to dissolve it in boiling water. You can't use it as seasoning for cold things or things in powder form, like flour. I also find it rather difficult to estimate the amount I need.

Esther also doesn't like the mie noodles our local supermarkets offer. When you look at the uncooked noodles closely, you will notice tiny dark specks (which disappear completely when you cook the noodles). But because of those specks, Esther says the mie noodles are like wholemeal noodles (which she doesn't like). So I buy these at the Asia Store:


I consider the "quick cooking" a bit of a joke, because it takes about 15 minutes until these noodles are soft enough. 

I just wondered if I have ever eaten that soup myself. I can't really remember if I have. But I have made it many times for Esther and Ben.
 
  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again for showing us some of your interesting products.
    I wonder why it takes so much time to cook the noodles because they don't like particularly thick...

    My way of making sure that my children eat enough vegetables is to put them in miso soup or in clear soup (dashi, salt, and some soy sauce). Even my picky daugher usually eats anything in soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The noodles may not look thick in the photo, but they are in fact thicker than spaghetti. Even more so when cooked.

      I wish it was that simple with Esther. She used to like carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, but these days are long gone. At the moment, the only vegetables she likes are tomatoes and cucumbers. With fruits, it is similar. She likes bananas, strawberries and the occasional apple. And that's about it.

      Delete