January 31, 2014

Sake! (part 1)

At the moment, I have these two varieties of sake in the house:





When I first bought them, I didn't notice that the left sort of bottle was different from the right. And even the shop assistants at Yumi Hana sometimes fail to notice that they are different when I check out. (The right bottle is 0.60 Swiss francs more expensive than the left.)

I tried some googling, but so far I can only tell that they both seem to be from Nihonsakari Breweries. The left bottle has furigana: it is called Reishu.

Googling also told me that these are sake I should drink cold. The problem is that I don't like cold sake that much.

Of course I could buy table sake or sake in tetrapak cartons. But table sake (I will post a picture on occasion) is only slightly less expensive than these, and I have the impression that, once opened, the flavor of the sake in tetrapak cartons (again, pictures of that later) deteriorates over time.

To be continued. 

3 comments:

  1. So, did you drink the two sake chilled? How did you find them?
    I like my sake well chilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit it, but I have been an utter barbarian and drank them hot ;)
    I only drink sake cold (or chilled) if I can't help it. Even last year in August when we were in Japan and the weather was really hot, I preferred my sake (and also my o-cha) hot.

    I rather like these two varieties of sake. It may be that I buy the expensive sake one of my local supermarkets sells today. It costs almost twice as much as these two, but I like these better. I'll post about it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, you are not a barbarian! Drinking chilled sake is a relatively new trend in Japan. When I was a child (+40 years ago), my father almost always had his sake heated (あつかん, 熱燗).

    ReplyDelete