January 30, 2014

Curry nabe

Ben and I made curry nabe for the second time today, again using an adapted version of this recipe from Hiroyuki's blog.

During the day, I had asked Ben which green vegetable he would like to have in the nabe, and he said he would like broccoli. I think broccoli goes very well with curry :)

The broth was like this:

1000 ml water
2 teaspoons instant kombu dashi
1 tablespoon soy sauce (15 ml)

and 2 blocks of this curry roux, bought at Nishi's Japan Shop:



 Getting ready:



  I put the ingredients of the broth into the nabe and turned on the heat full throttle. Then I disappeared into the kitchen for a minute to prepare two bowls of pickles to have as a side dish, when my daughter called in alarm from the living room:


 The donabe had boiled over and broth had spouted out of the hole in the lid. This taught me not to leave the donabe unattended ;)

Almost everything in the nabe:


We later added leftover pasta. (We didn't use the Sanuki udon you can see in the pictures above.) Good, but difficult to eat with (plastic) chopsticks.

 
 I still have to make adjustments to the broth. We use instant kombu dashi and not fish dashi, and I guess the former is not as flavorful as the latter. We also don't add meat in any form - the broth won't absorb flavor from meat.

Nevertheless, it tasted good!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying out my recipe!

    I usually pre-cook the daikon, carrot, and the thick portion of hakusai (Chinese cabbage) in the donabe in the kitchen gas stove before moving the donabe carefully to the portable gas burner on the dining table. That way, I can save the number of gas cartridges used for nabe dishes. (One gas cartridge costs nearly 100 yen in Japan, and probably costs more in your country/area.)

    I agree with your husband. Broccoli sounds very good in curry nabe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :)
      I dare not use the donabe on our stove because I don't know if it is suitable for vitroceramic stoves.
      We had a gas stove in Germany, and it took us a while to get used to cooking on the vitroceramic stove here. When I was here for apartment hunting, we were shown an apartment which had a gas stove, but the apartment had light-colored carpet floors in most of the rooms, and our daughter was only 5 years old then and still very messy. If we had wanted wooden floors in the apartment, we would have had to pay extra. So we swallowed the bitter pill and moved to a different apartment.

      Delete