January 16, 2014

Kinoko nabe with tofu

Tonight, Ben and I made kinoko nabe.

Overview of the ingredients:


The broth was 1,200 ml water, one and a half paper tubes of instant kombu dashi, 1 tablespoon soy sauce.

Closeup of the starter:

 
 "Wasabi" pickled carrots, kyuuri (cucumber) asazuke, and store-bought Korean takuan (pickled radish).

Ben (my husband) thinks that the Japanese invented cutting vegetables ran-giri style (like the kyuuri asazuke in the picture) just in order to make fun of the poor gaijin who have trouble eating the irregular pieces with chopsticks ;) Evil thoughts indeed. I thought, well, yes, it takes some time getting used to it, but now I think I can manage to eat them quite well.

Another photo of the ingredients of the nabe:


The bowl on the lower extreme right contains red-skinned radish. At least my Turkish supermarket sells it as radish. To me, it tastes more like kabu (turnip). Next time, I'll try making senmai-zuke with it, a Kyoto specialty.

The (partially) filled nabe:


I was a bit too generous with the broth, because I had hoped that my daughter would eat with us. Normally, she loves mushrooms. But she said she wasn't hungry. So everything was a bit too much for two people.

Later, we added mie noodles to the nabe:





The German wikipedia says mie and ramen are equivalent. I'm not so sure about that, but these mie noodles are quick-cooking and tasty.

These are two brands of instant kombu dashi we use:


But I guess you could substitute it with any fat-free stock powder, if you can't find it anywhere.
 


2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your blog! How can someone in Switzerland have such great knowledge of Japanese cuisine? I just wonder if you are a Japanese descendant or something...

    Anyway, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly thanks to your blog :) My knowledge of Japanese cuisine is really not so great. I have various Japanese cookbooks (one in German, four in English), but due to copyright I am hesitant to post detailed recipes from them.

      Delete