November 06, 2014

Back to the future

So it turned out that I had to take a rest.

Just wanted to say I am back again with a picture of my overgrown shiso and the last mizuna plant:


Why didn't I harvest the shiso? Because it turned out that shiso is indeed the one Japanese ingredient that I don't like (as I thought I had already noticed in Japan, but looking back at the time I bought the seeds, I hadn't been sure anymore). To me, it tastes like bitter almonds, a quality I don't like so much in an herb. My Japanese friend said that the red shiso is different from the green one, but I didn't notice a huge difference.

The picture is about two weeks old, and now all of a sudden the temperature outside is winter-like. Up to now, I had kept the plants for their decorative value, but they are starting to suffer under the cold.

There should be a series of photos of Ben and me making vegan nama fu on the camera's SD card. If I recall the essential details, I will post about that when I can spare the time.

2 comments:

  1. Long time, no see!

    I'm with your friend on shiso. Red shiso tastes quite different from green shiso. I'd also like to add that if it's too harsh for you, finely shred it, soak in cold water for a few minutes, and squeeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bitte erlauben Sie, dass ich hier kommentiere! Ich arbeite bei einer japanischen Medienkoordinationsfirma in Berlin. Im Auftrag von einem japanischen Fernsehsebder würde ich Sie gerne direkt kontaktieren. Wäre es möglich, dass Sie eine kurze E-mail an mail@yons.de schicken? MfG Sugiyama

    ReplyDelete