June 05, 2014

Yay! Store-bought onigiri!

Yesterday, we had kiriboshi daikon and hijiki no nimono. As always, about a coffee mug full of both was left. So today, I was planning to throw that into okonomiyaki dough.

A few minutes after the local supermarkets had closed, I thought: "Hmmm. Maybe mushrooms to put on top of the okonomiyaki in the pan would be good." So I pinged Ben, who was on his way home, and asked him if he could pop into a certain Coop supermarket close to his office before he got on the bus home. He did and got eryngii :)

He also got an appetizer for me :)


Onigiri filled with spinach and shiitake (on the left) and with teriyaki salmon (on the right).
(Never mind the cans of Beck's Beer. I just used them to lean the onigiri against them.)

Both were very good. But the left one didn't taste much of shiitake. It was flavored with wasabi. I was surprised to find that wasabi goes well with spinach :)

I have to apologize that I haven't been posting here as often as I should. There sure would have been enough to post about. I promise to do a post about my gardening projects soon.

3 comments:

  1. Kiriboshi daikon and hijiki, and onigiri?! It's not hard to imagine what your neighbors think of you! Just kidding!

    Both fillings, spinach/shiitake and teriyaki salmon, sound innovative to the Japanese!

    I laughed when I saw the words "Rice Sandwich" on the labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am under the impression that many supercreative Japanese cooks leave Japan for Europe or the US, in order to do things that very few Japanese in their right mind would eat.

      I've already mentioned the Yooji's chain of sushi places once. Couple of weeks ago, we were there to eat. You'd be astonished what kind of fancy rolls you can find there. Esther pointed out to me that there was a sign saying that it's not allowed to take photos at their kaiten, otherwise I would have posted about that. But feel free to browse the menu you can find at the above weblink. It gives you a general idea.

      We also were at a Japanese restaurant called Samurai with my Japanese friend and her husband. They ordered very colorful sushi rolls which looked extremely appetizing to me. When we left, I pointed at the photo menu hanging in front of the door, asking my friend if you could really get rolls like those in Japan. And she said no. The most innovative you can get in Japan are California Rolls, she said. (I don't like California Rolls!)

      I promise to take photos when we go there again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your clarification, and thanks for the link. I remember the first one. Samurai uses the rice from Niigata (not Nigata) and Uonuma! Quite impressive!

      Delete