June 22, 2014

My current gardening projects

This is an old wooden cart. I had Ben and Esther sand it and paint it white. Then I asked Esther to sow some seeds in it. This is how it looks about three weeks later:

 

At the back is komatsuna, and mitsuba in front.

The same cart a few days later:


We will have to eat the komatsuna soon. Some plants have started to flower, and there seem to be caterpillars of some kind that have gnawed on a few leaves.

Furthermore, I had two mini greenhouses of this kind:


 There is shiso (aka jiso and ao jiso) in this one. But it's not coming on so well.


I suspect the climate in this greenhouse was just too humid, because many of the seeds became covered with mold after the first night.


  But some started to germinate anyway. I'll give them a bit more time while giving them water only sparingly.

Unfortunately, the cat kicked over the other mini greenhouse. There was green mizuna and purple mizuna in it. I could save only a few seedlings, which Esther and I transferred to a balcony box.


 When I look at them now (the picture is from Thursday), I believe they are doing quite well in that box.

It always helps when I don't have to do it alone and Ben or Esther (or both) are there to help (or do the work without me).
I have no green thumb at all - I'm no good when it comes to living plants :(

2 comments:

  1. No green thumb? But you've been doing great on your vegetables so far. I am amused to see all your vegetables are Japanese.
    I hope I can post about my vegetable gardening soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words :) but it is significant that the two things that are thriving best are the ones I had no hand in sowing ;)

      But another thing is those mini greenhouses. I think I won't use them again. They are fairly expensive, and I think I can achieve better results with just flowerpots and normal soil (possibly some cling wrap over the top if need be).

      The herbs and greens are all Japanese because they are hard to come by on the Swiss market. Yumi Hana has fresh (refrigerated) shiso from time to time, but it makes not much sense to go to the city center just to buy shiso if I am lucky. On the other hand, middle European herbs (and coriander or even lemongrass) are readily available fresh at the local supermarkets every day. So there is no real need to grow basil, parsley or thyme.

      Yes, I hope your veggies are doing great. I would love to read about your success.

      Delete